I have a passion for painting from life. My style focuses on light and what it does to color and form. I'm inspired to capture the ethereal quality of light on land, architecture, and everyday objects. As a plein air painter, I love the challenge of being outside to create vibrant, spontaneous works. Early morning and late afternoon are my favorite times to paint because the colors and shadows are more intense.
My paintings evolve from feeling connected to a place. As a regional Rhode Island painter I'm lucky to be surrounded by so much natural beauty and subject matter is always close to home. Living on the Potowomut Peninsula, the summer home of the Narragansett Indians, this area is rich in history and timeless spender. Block Island is another favorite muse with it's unique island light, Victorian buildings, and sweeping views. I believe there are images in nature that have a universal appeal, and through my works I wish to share that vision.
I attended the Cleveland Institute of Art and graduated from the Philadelphia College of Art, with a degree in Industrial Design. I worked at Fisher Price as a toy designer, then ran my own design studio. Blue Sky was created when my husband became a partner, a design studio that invents toys and products for children. After 35 years as a toy designer, I'm enjoying a second career as a visual artist and art teacher.
CLAIRE MARI STUDIO is where I create, exhibit, and teach drawing and painting. Art is your own unique self expression, and I show my students many ways to achieve it. Click on the teaching page, where you can see student work and schedules. Please visit the studio by chance or appointment, located at 240 Forge Road, North Kingstown, RI 02852 401.225.4963
Follow me on Instagram at CLAIREMARIPAINT
SELECT SHOWS AND AWARDS:
- Spring Street Gallery guest artist show, Block Island, RI: 2016
- West Bay Open Studio member, North Kingstown, RI: 2009 - 2015
- Spring Bull Gallery, "Fakes and Forgeries Show", Newport, RI: 2012 "Most Authentic Award"
- Jessie Edwards Gallery, Block Island, RI: 2007 - 2011
- Atrium Gallery, "RISCA Scenes of Rhode Island Juried Show" Providence, RI: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Mixed Media Gallery, Block Island, RI: 2000-2006
- Newport Art Museum, "Annual Juried Exhibition" , Newport, RI: 2005, 2006
- Wickford Art Association, "Luscious - An Adventure in Color", Wickford, RI: 2006
- Wickford Art Association, "Members Spring Show", Wickford, RI: 2005 "First Place
GALLERIES AND STORES:
Studio 460 • Wickford, RI
Newport Art Museum • Newport, RI
Eclectic Bungalow • Wickford, RI
Lazy Fish • Block Island, RI
Island Mist • Block Island
Isherwood & CO • Newport, RI